Monday 18 February 2013

A SLIGHT CHALLENGE – NO MOTORBIKE!



So the title of this entry might come as somewhat of a surprise to you as it did to me. The boat due to carry my metal mule to the new world sailed yesterday, however its precious cargo was left standing forlornly dockside, the unfortunate result of an administrative catastrophe. But upon reflection maybe I am not so surprised, but that story starts around a week earlier…….

I had booked the bike in to be crated up on the 11thof Feb down on the Gold Coast, a tourist hub, not the industrial shipping mecca that might have sprung to mind for such a task. My shipping agent, let’s call him Peter to preserve anonymity, had arranged his man to perform the job. Now I am no stranger around power tools and woodworking, but for this first and most important of shipping endeavours that I am going to do in the next three years I though it prudent to trust it to a professional. And after talking to him the night before I use this term very loosely. Lets just say that the grossly overfed, ill-mannered filthy creature who greeted us the next day fit perfectly into my preconceived image of the man. To add insult to injury his ‘home’ put the phrase ramshackled to shame. Broken cars, rusted hoists and fallen trees greeted our arrival. But all hope was not lost as the innards of his sprawling shed revealed numerous vintage and collectable motorbikes, some in good condition, others clearly still on the ‘project’ self. One vehicle in particular a ’52 Ducati Scooter Cruiser caught my eye and momentarily distracted my thoughts of foreboding for my own machine.

In the end it simply was too late to change the situation and I left ‘zora’ with the fellow, hoping to once again be reunited with it on the other side of the Pacific. 

Skip forward past several reassuring emails and phone calls to ‘Peter’ to the date of departure for the ship which was to convey the bike firstly to Bussan, Korea and then onward to Callao, Peru. Just as Carlie was serving up our second last Aussie home-cooked meal, a delicious lamb roast with all the trimmings, our red wine indulgence was interrupted by Peter. “The bad news, mate, is that it didnt get onto the boat”, I was left waiting for the good news. I am still waiting for the good news. Of course it wasn’t Peters’ fault, it was the shipping agents. And here I was naively thinking that HE was my shipping agent. No all was lost, as of two hours ago and with only 22 hours before I myself board an outward-bound craft for the New World, I received a call. The bike will now go via Sydney, Singapore, Bussan and arrive in Peru only two weeks later than promised gaining no frequent flyer miles while I sit in exotic places fearing the next phone call from Peter.

Yea, it’s a challenge alright but there’s not much to do about it now but sit back enjoy the last Aussie beers for a while and get excited about flying business class. Now there’s fodder for the next blog entry…….

From the Australia Beer Garden,,
Mark

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the best laid plans.
    I can only imagine the frustration. There's humour in the situation, and more so as the story is retold in future years, I'm sure. Particularly after Zora's successful arrival in Peru and the triumphant return of your intercontinental sojourn.
    Do remember to write us a post card from Callao, seeing as you'll have a little extra time there!
    Andy and Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure thing Andy. I certainly owe you a postcard or two!

    ReplyDelete